Saturday, September 11, 2010

College Ettiquette (the Online Version)

I have taken many online classes during my time as a student, but just this semester I lucked in to one that was so mind bogglingly awful, I thought I'd share a few pointers for the future. Most seem really simple, but if they make the list, it is because I keep seeing them. So, in no particular order, here they are:
1. Verb tenses exist for a reason. Please pick one and stick with it.

2. Wikipedia is not good source material. There is a wonderful web full of reputable sites to find information. Wikipedia is not one of them.

3. When you "rite liek dis" in a college level class, it makes me want to find you and check to be sure you are in fact older than 12.

4. If you are planning to teach, then for bob sake, rule 3 applies double.

5. When you quote statistics to make yourself sound smarter, make sure you're using them correctly. Being ranked 38th in population puts Nebraska at the bottom of the scale, not the top. Please stop implying otherwise.

6. There is a site that you should all become familiar with. It can be found here. I've even provided a handy link. And for the love of all that's holy, this goes for the instructor too.

7. If you make a point that is controversial, be prepared to defend your point of view. Don't just make it and then refuse to engage. All that proves is your inability to defend your point in a logical manner. Plus, it's really annoying.

8. Spell check is your friend. Use it.

9. I will likely never meet you face to face. My only picture of who you are is through your postings on the discussion board. Keep that in mind.

No comments: